13 Festival Highlights This Weekend | News
Whether you favor pink or green, you'll have plenty to check out at Dublin's or Macon's festivals this weekend.
1. St. Patrick's Day Parade rolls through downtown Dublin Saturday at 10:30 a.m.
2. Then after the parade, you'll want to check out the infamous Irish Corn Beef & Cabbage Dinner. That's from 11:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church Fellowship Hall. Adults $6, children under 12, $4. Family: $20.
3. Also on the docket in Dublin Saturday is the 5th Annual Southern Pines Car & Truck show. Spectators enter free, 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Southern Pines Ag & Expo Center (575 Southern Pines Road, Dublin)
4. Friday kicks off the Cherry Blossom Festival in Macon. Check out the (free!) nightly concerts starting at 8 p.m. in Central City Park. Elvis will be in the building for "The King Lives" an Elvis Tribute on Friday.
5. But don't stay up too late, you'll want to rise early for the Pink Pancake Breakfast, also in Central City Park. The pink pancakes will flow freely from 7-10 a.m. for $5 Saturday.
6. New this year to the festival is the First Annual Varsity Cruise In. You'll be able to drop in and view classic cars from 9-3 Saturday at Sid's Sandwich Shop in Macon. Have a classic car to put on show? $10 to enter your car. (Call 478-746-2772 for info.)
7. Even your furbabies will have some fun at the festival this year while watching the Dixie Disc Dogs Championships at Central City Park Saturday from 11-5. "Premier Frisbee Dogs" from around the world will compete for the championship title.
8. If your dog is a bit more into fashion rather than sports, you'll want to bring them down for the Pet Fashion Show where they can show off their latest baubles and compete for "Best Dressed, Pet Owner Look-a-like, Most Unusual, Best Looking Leprechaun, and Grand Prize Doggy Dazzle King & Queen." That's in Central City Park from 1-2:30 p.m. Registration for entrants is at 11 a.m. for $5.
9. You'll want to be downtown Macon for a Cherry Blossom Festival highlight: the Bed Race! (If nothing else just to see how people get a bed to move that fast.) Cherry Street, 1 p.m. Saturday.
10. Another memorable event: High Heels for the Cure! where men and women don (at least two-inch) high heels and...run. 2 p.m. on Cherry Street right after the Bed Race.
11. As the evening winds down, watch hot air balloons take over the sky with their glow while you relax to some music by the Travis Denning Band. Catch that at Middle Georgia State College's Macon campus (100 College Station Drive, Macon). $5 admission, children kids six and under are free.
12. On either Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, or the rest of the week for that matter, head over to Historic Riverside Cemetery for a tour that brings the cemetery's stories to life. Tours are at 5:30 p.m. for $10. Check details.
13. You can also celebrate St. Patrick's Day in downtown Macon at the new 41 Daiquiri Bar. DJ Fubu and Shawty Slim will be spinning. Doors open at noon, party from 2-7 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Dublin
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Downtown Macon Second Street Corridor Project underway
- Iconic downtown Macon restaurant reopens Aug. 13
- Former 13WMAZ anchor files whistleblower lawsuit against Ga. National Guard
- Small Grease Fire at Fincher's Barbecue
- Macon hosted its first sponsorship by giving away backpacks loaded with school supplies.