During the holiday season, the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department would like to identify some turkey fryer hazards and offer some fire safety tips to ensure that you and your family have a fun and safe holiday.
Turkey Fryer Hazards
• Many units easily tip over, spilling the hot oil from the cooking pot.
• If the cooking pot is overfilled with oil, the oil may spill out of the unit when the turkey is placed into the cooking pot. Oil may hit the burner or flames, causing a fire to engulf the entire unit.
• Partially frozen turkeys placed into the fryer can cause a spillover effect. This too may result in an extensive fire.
• With no thermostat controls, the units also have the potential to overheat the oil to the point of combustion.
• The lid and handles on the sides of the cooking pot get dangerously hot, posing severe burn hazards.
Important Turkey Fryer Safety Tips