Redneck Games Will Skip 2013 | Families
They won't be lighting the beer can torch this summer to mark the opening of East Dublin's world-famous Redneck Games.
The games' website says they're postponing this year's games, but hope to be back in 2014. No explanation was given.
They started in 1996 as a tongue-in-cheek response to the Olympic Games in Atlanta.
The games drew media from around the world. And they turned the spotlight on events like the toilet-seat toss, pigs-feet bobbing, the water-melon seed spitting contest and the iconic mud pit belly flop.
Each year, thousands gathered at East Dublin's Buckeye Park. But this year, organizers moved the games from July to Memorial Day weekend.
We could not reach Redneck Games organizers for comment Wednesday night.
Upcoming Events near Dublin
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Trash Making Money, Power
- Russell Pkwy repaving could continue for two weeks
- Robins Federal Credit Union Blood Drive could saves over 95 lives
- Group intends to give away 2,000 backpacks filled with school supplies this Friday.
- City says those conducting a traffic study for the intersection need an extension.