Top 10 reasons to visit Dublin this weekend | Arts & Culture
Going green gets a whole new meaning as Dublin’s 49th Annual St. Patrick’s Festival continues to boost fun to new heights with these top 10 events for the whole family.
1. Raise some green and help conquer childhood cancer as Lil Tom’s Fish Market on Madison hosts Celebrity Server Night to benefit the St. Baldrick’s Foundation on Thursday, March 13th from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 109 W. Madison Street in downtown Dublin. Celebrities from radio, television, politicians, musicians, and more will serve up Lil Tom’s southern specialties as barbers and stylists fashion you a new look just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. For more info, call Tommy at 478-290-6114 or Connie Lea Fountain at 478-272-4422.
2. Watch as color lights the skies above Dublin as a multitude of hot air balloons float in a race to the finish in a three-day celebration of St. Patrick's Day during the Balloon Fest! Beginning Friday, March 14th from 4:30 p.m. - 10 p.m. and continuing Saturday, March 15th from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., the festivities end with the annual Balloon Glow and Carnival at Southern Pines Expo & Ag Center on Sunday, March 16th from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. when the balloons will again take to the skies to celebrate their victory. Southern Pines Ag and Expo Center is located at 575 Southern Pines Road or call 478-272-4002 for more information.
3. With prices starting at 50 cents and free admission, there’s thousands of additional reasons to attend the St. Patrick's Book Sale March 15th from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Laurens County Library. Located at 801 Bellevue Avenue, the library offers thousands of titles from every genre of new and used books, VHS movies, audiocassettes and more for sale. Call 478-272-5710 for more information.
4. Display your Irish pride as Morris Bank Shamrocks Your Ride Saturday, March 15th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at their Dublin Mall location at 2003 Veteran’s Boulevard. Cost is $5.00 per shamrock.
5. Get moving with the Olympic Bike Ride on Saturday, March 15th from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Dublin Mall. Sponsored by the Dublin-Laurens Special Olympics, explore the City with two different rides and the entry fee is $35.00. Contact Bruce Birch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Trek through the snow covered Artic, the steamy swamps of Florida, and the thickets of Mexico rare animals from North America, Asia, Europe, and Russia with a trip through the World Safari Collection Saturday, March 15th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Dr. J.Y. Jones Museum located at 1213 Walke Dairy Road. Featuring over 130 exhibits of big game trophies, this educational collection includes a ten foot polar bear, cougar, sheep, alligator, caribou, walrus, and much more, including a man-eating deer from China. Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for ages 6-12, and free for children 5 and under, and are available at the door. Please call 478-274-1044 for more information.
7. Experience artistry at the Emerald City Quilt Show on Saturday, March 15th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Middle Georgia State College. Sponsored by the Emerald City Quilters, view dozens of heirloom and modern quilts. Admission is free.
8. Spice things up at Club 604’s 2nd Annual St. Paddy’s Ball on Saturday, March 15th at 7 p.m. with live music from Savannah’s Shrimp City Slim and Chef James’ Cajun inspired buffet featuring gumbo, rice, veggies, bread pudding with bourbon sauce, and more! Tickets are $40 per person, and can be reserved by calling 478-272-6048.
9. Kick off St. Patrick’s Day right with the 31st Annual Irish Chamber Breakfast on Monday, March 17th at 8 a.m. at the Dublin Country Club. Tickets are $15 for Chamber members and $25 for nonmembers. Call 478-272-5546 to reserve your tickets.
10. Stone Horse Tavern turns heads during their St.Baldricks head shaving event on Monday, March 17th from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. A $10 donation per head shaving helps the St. Baldrick’s Foundation fight childhood cancer or donate $50 or more for a free tee shirt or St.Baldricks 2014 pin. Local musical artist, Joshua Turner, livens the mood with a live acoustic performance from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Stone Horse Tavern is located at 110 W. Jackson Street in downtown Dublin. For more information, call 478-272-0076.
Upcoming Events near Dublin
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Russell Pkwy repaving could continue for two weeks
- Group intends to give away 2,000 backpacks filled with school supplies this Friday.
- City says those conducting a traffic study for the intersection need an extension.
- New Houston Co. Schools Opening
- UPDATE: Equipment outside of Perdue plant catches fire